Friday, June 26, 2026

Math Links for Week Ending June 25th, 2026

Featured Links

I think it's important for kids to work on problems like this, either in groups or individually. 
Curriculum Tags: All

Here's a slight twist on an arithmetic grid for this week's #OCRMathsPuzzle. Find the values for p and q so that the arithmetic grid below can be completed. #MathsToday #UKMathsChat #RecreationalMath @cambridgeocr.bsky.social

[image or embed]

— Steve Walker (@stevemaths.bsky.social) June 19, 2026 at 9:21 AM
Resource Links

If you are using Desmos Notebook then you can't have enough resource to help "pimp" your pages out
Curriculum Tags: All

Connected variables and tokens bring all your Notebook elements together. What question should we answer next? #iteachmath #mathsky

[image or embed]

— Desmos Studio (@desmos.com) June 26, 2026 at 2:51 PM

Video Links

I like anything that helps visualize completing the square
Curriculum Tags: MPM2D,  MCR3U, MCF3M, MBF3C


Image Links

I can't get enough mathematical art
Curriculum Tags: All

Circle packing within a spiral lattice. #CreativeCoding #MathArt #MathSky #phyllotaxis #SciArt

[image or embed]

— Daniel Wilson (@helsig.bsky.social) June 26, 2026 at 2:36 PM


1 comment:

  1. Hi David,

    I got here from the comments under Dan Meyer's "four questions" post, which I was reading to see
    what already exists in this area. You asked there whether tools like this take away the reason for
    teaching equation solving in the first place. That question stuck with me, so I hope you don't mind
    me answering it eight years late.

    I've built one. It's called Algebraist. It's free, and it will be open source eventually.

    I'm not a teacher. I'm a programmer with kids who needed help with equations. I could sit down and
    help mine. Plenty of parents can't, and that's the part that bothered me. I wanted something a
    parent could sit next to their kid with even if they don't remember any of this themselves, and I
    thought it might be fun to make and use.

    The thing I'm stubborn about is that nothing gets solved by magic. There's no button that finishes
    it for you. Drag the 3 in x + 3 = 5 across the equals sign and you get x + 3 - 3 = 5 - 3, written
    out, and you have to deal with it yourself. It's more tedious than most apps. That's deliberate.

    Where I'm weakest is the pedagogy. I have no training in it and I've been reading my way in, which
    isn't the same thing. If you have a few minutes and any of it is useful to you, I'd really like to
    hear where it's wrong.

    https://algebraist.pages.dev

    Mattias

    ReplyDelete