Friday, August 14, 2026

Math Links for Week Ending Aug 14th, 2026

Featured Links

I don't think that there is any sort of "magic bullet" in education and sometimes somethings are adopted as being the thing to "solve" our problems only to be in effective or to have so many moving parts that they could never succeed. I liked this blog post because it's premiss, Fish Farts, comes from a podcast episode from RadioLab that I heard and so did the author. My take away is that often the answer lies somewhere in the middle - that is the solution often means using "a little of this and a little of that"
Curriculum Tags: All
https://duanehabecker.substack.com/p/the-fish-farts-of-education

I recently heard an episode of RadioLab about the Swedish Navy. It inspired me to think deeply about the Fish Farts of education. #iTeachMath #mtbos duanehabecker.substa...

[image or embed]

— Duane Habecker (@duanehabecker.com) August 12, 2026 at 10:00 AM

Resource Links

I like to regularly give a plug for Slow Reveal Graphs, just in case someone has been living under a rock and hasn't heard of them.
Curriculum Tags: All
https://slowrevealgraphs.com/2026/08/13/share-of-households-with-air-conditioning-by-country-or-region-2025/

New #SlowRevealGraph Europe is about to be slammed with yet another heat wave. Why is this so dangerous -- especially when compare with high temperatures in the US and China? Link to slow reveal graph below. Via Our World in Data

[image or embed]

— Jenna Laib (@jennalaib.bsky.social) August 13, 2026 at 9:23 PM

Video Links

I think even for senior math classes this is a great way to start the year. A low floor math activity to initialize discussion.
Curriculum Tags: All
https://x.com/howie_hua/status/2087268039117218253


Image Links

When a student has a "hurdle" that is not visible, sometimes it's hard for teachers to see that supports are not only something in their learning plan but they are necessary for them to be on an even playing field with other students. I usually liken it to people who have to wear glasses. Those are their learning supports. 
Curriculum Tags: All
https://bsky.app/profile/ontspecialneeds.bsky.social/post/3mt267bdgds2x

Intelligence does not eliminate disability or special education needs. A student can be academically capable and still require significant support with executive functioning, communication, regulation, sensory needs, organization, social interaction or other areas. #Onted #Edusky

[image or embed]

— ONTSpecialNeeds (@ontspecialneeds.bsky.social) August 14, 2026 at 8:34 AM


No comments:

Post a Comment